Monday, April 13, 2009

Welcome


    It is my third quarter attending FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) in Los Angeles, California. Although it is my third quarter I will frequently refer to things as if I'm only in my second quarter because it is the second quarter that I am in my designated major. (The first quarter was basics, mostly generals and a base knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator).
    Spring Break is over and I got back from a wonderful trip to Seattle visiting my cousins Stefani and Sean Sugihara whom I haven't seen in about 5 years. The trip was so much fun and thank you to Stefani, Greg, Sean, and Eric for making it such a memorable experience. 
    I then head over to Salt Lake City, Utah to visit back home to see my family and friends whom I miss ever so much. Every time I go back to Salt Lake I'm surprised by how small the city is and how few things there are to do there, but I miss my family and my friends a lot. Thank you to everyone back home who made this trip just as amazing as the others.
    I arrived in Los Angeles on April 7th with school starting back up on the 8th. Thus far I have attended 4 of my 5 classes. (the fifth class is an art history class I take on Saturday's for 6 hours, but it's only the first 5 weeks of the quarter, I haven't been to it yet because the campus was closed due to Easter). All of my classes this quarter are the same as last quarter, just a little bit more advanced. Wednesdays at 8:30am I have my Sound Design 2 class where I will be working with the programs Pro Tools and Reason. Thursday I have class all day from 8:30 until 6pm. The first class is Digital Composition 2 which I will be working with the program After Effects. The second class is 3d Modeling and Animation 2 which I will be working with the program Maya and the third class of the day is Editing 2 which I will be working with the program Final Cut Pro. 
    I am very excited for all of my classes. I'm sure that I will go through the same motions of wanting to throw my laptop out the window and over the balcony when I get entirely frustrated, but I guess that's just part of it. I'm proud of what I had accomplished last quarter I just hope to continue through. 
    For my After Effects class I need to design a logo to represent me. Then I need to animate it for 5-10 seconds. Really short, sounds simple and easy, but I have lots of research to do. I want it to be elegant and professional, yet have a fun and technology look to it because it's something that I will use to kind of "stamp" onto my demo reel when I'm done with school. VERY EXCITING! 
    For my Maya class we need to model two toys into the computer and then animate them. I chose Yoshi from Mario bros. and Hello Kitty from Sanrio. That should be interesting. 
    For my Editing class we begin filming next week. We're gonna film a short. Any ideas? Because I'm empty lol. I guess we'll see the turn out! 
    As for a social life, it's been slim since I got back to L.A. I've been sick so most of the time when I'm not doing school I'm trying to get over this illness. Nights are the worst. I feel like I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a week now. How depressing, to wake up tired haha. 
    My best friend Crystal lived in Studio City, CA about a 20-40 minute drive (traffic pending) from downtown LA, where I live. She moved to Moab, Utah with her kids Hayden and Atticus. I am very sad over this and try not to think about it. She was the one person I could turn to no matter what and I could have a nice long conversation with about anything. She understands me, she was there for me, she helped me when I was homesick. Now I'm scared. I have no one out here. I can't wait for her return in 6 months. 
    I think that's basically everything that has been going on out here. The new apartment has its quirks and slowly it's looking like a home.
    This weekend I should be going to lunch with Connie, she used to be my Sunday school teacher at church back home (both her and her husband) when I was little. They moved to the LA area a while back and they have kids now. 
    I'm excited for the future months. In May, a bunch of friends and I are planning on going to Las Vegas over Memorial weekend. I've been keeping busy with trying to plan that and also my break after this quarter is June 19-July 8 I'm hoping to hit up Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver during this break. I need to plan everything out transportation wise. This is just a rough draft, but I'm thinking of driving to Salt Lake, flying to Portland, going to Seattle by Train, and going to Vancouver by boat. It's just a dream. lol For right now it's a pretty big dream, but I think it sounds like so much fun, it's almost like backpacking! We'll see how things turn out because I wanna be back in Salt Lake for Obon practice and Auntie Yoshi's July 3rd celebrations. 
    Now that I have exhausted everything that has been going on with me, hope to keep in touch with many of you and hopefully I have a lot of new experiences while I'm out here. (Gotta get it in before the homework gets too dense!) Love you all so much and miss you lots too. 


For Picture Updates Please visit my Facebook Account
    

No comments:

Post a Comment